Sliabh Bawn DAC commit to:
- Always being open and communicating proactively with the local community throughout the project and responding to community needs.
- Improving local amenity and recreation for all visitors to Sliabh Bawn.
- Protection of the natural environment with careful management of replanted trees replacing those removed during construction.
- Supporting local community projects via the Sliabh Bawn Community Fund.
Sliabh Bawn DAC Community Benefit Fund
2022 Sliabh Bawn Community Benefit Fund Now Closed for Applications
The Sliabh Bawn Community Benefit Fund (the “Fund”) closed for applications on Monday 30th January 2023. This fund is available to community and voluntary groups, non-profit groups, or organisations with a charitable status.
Applicants can expect to be informed of the outcome of their application no later than the end of April 2023. Please note, if we are experiencing any delays due to application volume, we will inform you of same.
The Fund provides support to the cumulative value of €2 million for the operational lifetime of the wind farm, and seeks to prioritise projects and initiatives that support and benefit the area surrounding Sliabh Bawn Wind Farm by providing financial support to local groups, helping them to deliver beneficial projects and initiatives which fall within one or more of the broad themes of:
- Social Sustainability
- Culture and Heritage
- Environmental Sustainability
The administration of the Fund changed from 2018 awards. An expanded management panel has been established including eight local community representatives, SECAD and Sliabh Bawn Power DAC. This natural and timely approach was a key recommendation of a 2018 review of the fund. SECAD will continue to provide administration and governance as before in addition to requested capacity building programs for those residents interested in volunteering their time.
If you would like to view the full details of beneficiary projects from 2015 -2021, please click HERE.
In September 2017, the world class recreation facilities at Sliabh Bawn were publically opened. These trails provide more than 28km of way-marked trails for walking, running and horse riding. Visitor numbers have risen sharply, by more than 80% since completion, which we warmly welcome.
- Six looped, way-marked trails for walking and fitness.
- Monastery track upgrade with new links and signage
- Equestrian Trail – the first ever designated equestrian trail on Coillte land
- Two km Trim Trail with outdoor exercise equipment
- Raised viewing platform close to the summit with interpretive signage
- Picnic Area
- Upgraded car parking
See the Sliabh Bawn Recreation map here :